When I got the invitation to a wedding in Florida I could not contain my excitement! Having never been before, I was absolutely buzzing to experience the legendary theme parks, and of course, visit the home of Mickey and Minnie Mouse! I’ll keep this post short and sweet because Orlando is a popular destination that many of you will have visited for yourselves. Below are my top 5 highlights of our two week trip:
- We arrived at Orlando and were greeted by my boyfriend’s family who had already spent a week there. After a few days of catching up and celebrating a birthday, it was time to conquer the famous Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure! This certainly did not disappoint. The park is so authentic you feel as though you are strolling through the set of several well-known and beloved movies. Which brings me to Harry Potter’s Wizarding World. This should definitely be a priority on the bucket list of any HP fans! Everything feels so realistic; from strolling down Diagon Alley, browsing through wands in Ollivander’s, disappearing through the platform, and finally enjoying a Butter Beer after alighting the train at Hogsmeade. This was definitely my favourite part of Universal, closely followed by Jurassic World, and Skull Island: Rein of Kong.
- What would be a trip to Orlando without visiting Disney World? We opted to visit the Magic Kingdom, truly one of the most magical and happy places on Earth. Possibly why this is the most visited theme park in the world! We started off at Hollywood Studios, then crossed over to the Magic Kingdom in the late afternoon. The castle itself is breath-taking and dreamlike, even from a twenty-three year olds perspective, I felt like a child at Christmas! The fireworks show at the end of the night is spectacular, so much so it brought a tear (or ten) to my eyes!
- Most importantly, the wedding ceremony itself! This was situated in the Four Seasons, within the Walt Disney World resort. I was here with my boyfriend’s family to witness the wedding of his cousin and her now husband. The location was fantastically fairy-tale like and definitely a reception I’ll never forget! After the vows were exchanged in a beautiful garden by a divine little lagoon, we moved inside to eat and celebrate, followed by indulging in one too many cocktails on the private terrace.
- Orlando is the home of magic in more ways than one. Their basketball team! A group of us purchased tickets to watch Orlando Magic take on the Denver Nuggets in the famous Amway centre. This night did not disappoint! Sporting events in the USA are a huge deal and this was no different, the atmosphere was second to none. Although Orlando Magic got beaten, we kept the spirit alive by beer fuelled chanting: “LETS GO MAGIC!!”.
- SHOPPING! The USA is an absolute dream come true for this, but unfortunately after Brexit, the pound had plummeted and our exchange rate was sh*t, meaning we didn’t quite get bargains as good as we would have previously. But this certainly did not stop me. The Orlando Premium Outlets were fab, and I managed to get myself some absolute STEALS from the Victoria’s Secret megastore (Don’t miss out on this one girls). The relatively new Disney Springs is also amazing for shopping, and when I say this I mean it has a Sephora and a MAC. Along with lots of shops, it’s also a leisure and entertainment complex, with various choices of places to eat and drink with a beautiful view.
There is of course so much more to see and do in Orlando besides from these, and is the perfect place to spend your holiday as it has something for everyone!